Welcome to emily lauren designs, where you will find unique, handcrafted jewelry and wearable art.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

beach inspired jewelry


Ever since I was born, incredible artists have surrounded me in my family. Both of my grandmothers were accomplished and passionate artists in many mediums, and they inspired the same compulsion to create in their children and grandchildren. Although we all work in many fields, it's never long before you'll find all of us with new projects in hand.

One of the things that bring me back most strongly to those roots is spending time at the cottage my grandfather built on shores of Lake Michigan. Every year we return, just as if it was a pilgrimage, and we spend time to reconnect and reinvigorate. One of my favorite things to do is to walk along the beach as far as I can go. It serves me as a time to mediate and appreciate the beauty of all of it. It wasn't long before some of those beauties started coming home with me in my pocket and inserting themselves into my art, as a tribute to the peace I felt there.

With each of my pieces, the design process is born while I am walking along the beach collecting treasures. Because each piece of beach glass and each crinoid columnal is unique, I believe that each merits its own design. I love diving into my collection and touching all the pieces, trying to remember the circumstances of each discovery, and imaging how best to display it. I feel that each piece of beach glass or crinoid columnal itself is a thing of wonder with a rich history, waiting just a little longer to be a part of something bigger again.

No comments:

Post a Comment